- Total Route Length: 67368 KM Broad Gauge (1.676 M.): 61,680 KM, Metre Gauge (1.000 M.): 3,479 KM,
Narrow Gauge (0.762 M. and 0.610 M.): 2,209 KM
- Total Track Kilometres (Total all gauges): 1,19,630 KM
- Electricfied Route Kilometre (Total all gauges): 23,555 KM
- Total no. of Locomotives are 11,122, Number of Wagons are 2,51,256 and coaches are 70,241.
- Total Number of Railway Stations: 7,349
- Number of Railway Bridges: 1,44,698
- Number of Employees :1308000
- Rolling Stock: Locomotive: 11,461 (Steam: 39 , Diesel: 6,023, Electric: 5,399 ), Passenger Carriages : 64,223,
Freight Cars/Wagons : 2,77,987
- Projected Revenue 2017-18 : 1.874 trillion in INR.
- Total number of Passenger carried: 8.26 Billion (Mar 2017-18)
- Total Freight Transported: 1.16 Billion Tonnes (Mar 2017-18)
- Total number of Passenger Trains Runs Daily: 13,313
- Total number of Goods Trains Runs Daily: 9,212
- Total number of Distance covered in a year: 1.1 Billion KM
- Fastest Train in India: Gatimaan Express (Top Speed) / Train 18 (Avg Speed)
- Slowest Train in India: Mettupalayam - Udagamandalam MG Passenger (20 KMPH)
- Longest Running Train: 15905/Kanniyakumari - Dibrugarh Vivek Express (4238 KM)
- Longest Station Name: Puratchi Thalaivar Dr. M.G. Ramachandran Central Railway Station (Chennai Central)
- Shortest Station name: Ib in Odisha and Od in Gujarat.
- Longest non-stop travel: 12213/ Delhi Sarai Rohila - Yesvantpur Jn. Duronto Express (594 KM)
- Shortest stop travel: Parvatipuram to Parvatipuram Town (13351/Dhanbad- Alleppy Express)
- Train with Most Stops: 13049/Howrah - Amritsar Express
- Longest Platform: Gorakhpur Junction (1,355.40 metres) (Longest in World)
- Busiest Railway Station: Howrah Junction
- First Lavatory in Train: 1891 in First Class and 1907 in lower class.
- Air Cooling: Introduced in 1st class coaches in 1874 in Great Indian Peninsular Railway.
- Longest Rail Tunnel: Pir Panjal Railway Tunnel (11,215 metres ) in J&K
- Underground Railways: The Kolkata Metro was the first metro railway in India for public in 1984.
- Computerized Reservation: Started in 1986 at New Delhi
- Worst Rail Disaster: The Bihar train derailment occurred when a train fell into the Bagmati River while
crossing a bridge, killing between more than 500 People.
- Rail Museum: The National Rail Museum in New Delhi inaugurated on 1st Feb 1977.
- Longest Bridge: Bogibeel bridge (Rail cum Road) 4.94 KM.
- Highest Bridge: Chenab Bridge 359 M. It crosses Chenab River between Bakkal and Kauri.
- Longest Tunnel: Pir Panjal Railway Tunnel (11,215 Metres) in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Most Powerful Loco: WAG-12B (12000 HP)
- Fastest Loco: WAP-5 (200 KMPH)
Rakes of Gatimaan Express
Train at Pamban Sea Bridge